If multiple records have the same values in the sort keys (a tie), they will have the same rank value and there will be a gap between them and the next record's rank. To avoid the gap, use the dense option. For example:
|sorted field||rank||dense rank|
To define a Rank component:
- Add a rank component where required in your package.
- Open the component and name it.
- In the rank field name, type a name for the field that will contain the rank values.
- Select Dense to assign a consecutive value to the next record that follows records with the same rank.
- Add the first field you want to sort by, and define the sort order (ascending or descending).
- If required, add additional fields to sort by and define their sort order.
- Change the field order as required.
- Validate the package to make sure that the rank field name is unique.